If you have been following along, you will already know about the 250 strawberry plugs that Company and I planted way back in Oct. and Nov. and finished up in Dec.
A week ago Sunday, I went to Company’s house after church and we found that the fabric we installed for the floating row covers were blown off and some were torn in half.
Winter is not over yet.
We will not be pulling the covers off (at this rate) until later this month, we when feel confidant that the temperatures will not get below 20 degrees.
So, we got busy and tried our best to get the rows all covered up again.
It took about a little over an hour but we finally got them all tucked in tight again, until it starts to get warm and stay warm.
Here is Company finishing up the last row.
Whew, I still see a little life in the strawberry plugs. With the winter we had, we were not for sure how many of the 250 plants would make it through. I am thinking we may have lost 50 of them. But, only time or rather spring weather, will tell how many spring back to life. Regardless, we should have enough strawberries to share with family and friends.
Ok….now we will move on to the fruit trees.
I think back in October or November we planted an additional 6 fruit trees to the apples trees that Company already had.
Of course, he cheats and uses this fancy hole digger to dig the hole that he can attach to his tractor.
Here is middle Grandgirl, helping plant the apple trees.
I am glad to report, as of a week ago, the fruit trees are doing great. This is the peach tree, and there is little buds on the branches.
All the apples trees have buds on them too. Sorry, the picture is blurry, but the cold air was blowing hard in farm country that afternoon.
Here are a couple of the cherry trees we planted in the front yard.
I am glad to report that the cherry trees have buds on them too.
Now, I know we will not get fruit from the trees for a few more years, but you have to start somewhere right,
I wish I was feeling that confidant about our garlic and onion sets we planted in the fall.
This is a picture of the tops coming up taken the end of December.
This is what I found a week ago. It was cold, and I had already spent over an hour (in my church clothes) fixing the floating row covers, so I could not get down and look over the whole patch. Anywho, we will have to wait to see what spring brings with the garlic and onions. Maybe, it was just so cold the tops froze. Maybe, it is too wet at the end of the garden and the bottoms rotted. Maybe, they will be just fine when it warms up, which I hope will be the case.
So, those are my three updates with the garden in the country.
I hope this inspires you to dig a hole and plant something : ).
You never know what will sprout up.